Monday, August 23, 2010

Quick Reads: 8th Edition Haters

Basically on any forum there will always be trolls, and I don't mean River Trolls.  A troll is basically a forum term used to describe someone who is complaining, being a dick, or trying to irritate someone. 
The good kind of troll.
Currently however many of the various forums are chock full of trolls, complaining about 8th edition being bad, and being dumbed down, and how EVERYONE hates it who isn't a little kid.  These posts do have some crusaders in them discussing the merits of the new edition and trying to show just how much more fun this edition is then the last, but its kind of a waste of time with these people. 
You would be better off having a debate with this.
 Just today however I saw a thread with a poll running that I think may finally shut up the complainers.  The poll had over 200 votes and 80% were major or minor improvement to game play, with 5% neutral, and only 15% thought it was a worse game then previous.  Granted I can't speak for everyone, obviously a lot has changed, but I will say all the arguments I have heard about why it's worse don't make any sense to me.  I honestly feel most of these people are stuck in the mud stubborn or are afraid of change.
A reasonable response to random charge distances.
Personally I really enjoy the changes, they spice up the game, make more situations have a chance to fail or succeed where they couldn't before, combat is far more violent, and infantry are much stronger securing their place as the core to all armies.  As a result the game is significantly more enjoyable for my group and I, as well as the side effect of a complete shake up meaning I have lots of fun variation to try out.

If you haven't gotten to try out the new rules I highly suggest you pick up a copy, read it over a few times and play with your friends, it's a blast, and it really mixes things up in a number of good ways.  You can pick up a copy at the link below.

Warhammer Fantasy Rulebook Eighth 8th Edition - Hardcover Rulebook - English

No comments:

Post a Comment