Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Planet Strike: Tau back story

Welcome back to the Byzanthis Conflict, if you are unfamiliar with the campaign, you can catch up from the beginning by following this link: Byzanthis Conflict.  Below you will find the record of Zaszz's Tau forces just before the conflict broke out into war with Loki's PDF, a war that would decide the fate of billions.
After the combined forces of the Tau destroyed the Ork presence on the world of Fi'rios, Commander Shadowsun gave the orders.  The main forces were given a number of targets, they would split up and engage in hit and run tactics to throw the enemy into disarray.  However some of the Shan'al of these forces were given alternate orders, they would separate from the primary forces (Shan'al are combined Tau commands, used for conquering worlds).  Under the cover created by the diversionary forces, the Shan'al would find the most valuable target worlds, and bring them under the Empire's banner.  A bold gambit as the plan would grant only limited resources for the capture of these worlds.  However this strategy would also leave the enemy unable to gleam even the faintest concept of the Tau strategy through the screen of chaos.
Lar'Shi Flagship Designation:  The Hero of the Midnight Sun
Location: In orbit over Fi'rios

Shan'al Log Entry: 
 The flickering of the blue white display hologram drew Aun'D'Doran's attention away from his environment for a moment, aboard these Lar'Shi class ships the many displays often distracted him from his usual zen like focus.  With a simple motion he dismissed the abundance of information drowning his gaze, to complete this task he only need look to his twin brother across the council table.  

"You were saying?" Aun'D'Elan spoke with the slightest hint of impatience.  "My apologies brother, while I do value the data this council has provided, I have considered all factors and finally grasp that which has eluded me.  The answer is actually quite simple, the secret to its divination was in my meditation, like the patient hunter, I had to calm my mind until what I sought came to me, rather then chase it my self.  While there are many worlds this Shan'al could pursue for the good of the empire, only one would be for the Greater Good.  The world I speak of is the Imperial world of Byzanthis."  

A slight smile peaked from Aun'D'Elan's lips as this was the world he had selected as well, but only Shas'O'Kauyon seemed to share the sentiment.  Solemn contemplation emanated from the remaining three members of the council, focusing on the task now laid before them.  Such is the Tau way, while other cultures may have heated debate over critical strategic decisions, in Tau culture Ethereal's words are taken as fact not opinion.  Aun'D'Doran spoke again wisely allowing the concept to resonate with the Shan'al for a moment.

Graceful and passionate are the twin Ethereals, Doran and Elan.
"On Byzanthis we will find a great deal of things, abundant natural resources, a location for colonization, even men and the materials they produce have use in our empire.  However, only on Byzanthis will we serve an even greater good.  A good that has eluded us for years.  We are too young to know first hand of what I am about to speak, but hear it and hear it well.  This world was ours once not long ago, foolishly we had built colony after colony upon it, foolish because of the ignorance and arrogance of Men.  Men who would strike a war with us ignoring all diplomacy in favor or mindless violence.  These Men have built their factories, their cities, and their temples upon a foundation of our brothers blood, our brothers bone, our brothers very souls!  Only on Byzanthis will we find true justice, on that world we will show these ignorant savages the folly of standing before the true shining glory of the Tau way.  The way of the Greater Good!".

With a final motion the Ethereal gestured for each member to stand and pledge their hand in the goal of securing Byzanthis.

First spoke Chief Engineer Fio'Ko'Kais "My Earth caste will build us a foundation from which we cannot falter Ethereal." speaking boldly for such a young Chief.

Lithely Admiral Sha'is'O'Savon rose from her seat "My Fleet will always carry you upon the path of the greater good", she spoke before bowing deeply.

"I will begin planning for all foreseeable conflicts Aun'D'Doran" quickly chimed Shas'O'Kauyon, General of the military forces, already upon his feet.

Finally with a golden tongue Por'O'Kunas spoke, "My diplomats are familiar with this world and it's peoples leader, we will begin opening venues to discuss the worlds return to it's rightful owners.  They will see the fault of their ways."


If they are deaf to the voice of reason, we will bring upon them the end times for what they have done on this world, they will experience the Mont'au, the great terror.

Diplomatic Log Entry: Por'O'Kunas
The people of this world have proven to be muddied for even the Water caste to cleanse.  All diplomatic channels have failed, military force it seems is the only thing these people will understand.

Tactical Log Entry: Chief Engineer Fio'Ko'Kais
The world chosen for us could be of no greater challenge to take, yet I rise to the occasion to prove my self worthy of my position.  On initial review of the planets defenses all hope seemed lost.  The world has batteries capable of blasting even mighty battle ships into wreckage, and it has this coverage over every conceivable attack point, the Imperials have no blind spot to exploit.  However I have studied their defenses sleeplessly after our meeting trying to find a weakness.

After hours of study I did find one weakness that lies in the tracking rate of the batteries.  They can only turn at a rate to track targets of Cruiser size or larger ships moving at high speeds, and while our large craft cannot avoid them, our smaller landing craft like the Orcas could in theory.  I have begin designing modifications to be made to the Orcas that should allow for entry into the atmosphere at extreme speeds and allow them to carry a variety of packages into the very heart of the enemy.  Hell I might even be able to drop in structures given the rate at which my team has been solving problems.

Got something for ya!
Tactical Log Entry: Admiral Sha'is'O'Savon
That Fio'Ko'Kais just may earn him self the title of Far Sighted after seeing what he is doing to my drop ships, but I think he may be onto the solution. That is the way of the Tau, adapt to the future and we can solve any problem. 

My best pilots were rather stunned to hear they would be piloting drop ships, but they seemed eager enough once I explained they would be performing entry from space at speeds and angles thought impossible by such craft.  I think they rather enjoyed the idea of pushing the envelope so far.  With the detailed information gathered by the Earth caste I was able to determine that I could get bombers past the defenses as well, our ground forces would be supported by raining death.
Slayer has nothing on this bad boy!
Tactical Log Entry: Commander Shas'O'Kauyon
The entries above really speak for them selves, the other castes have proven their skill.  They have looked upon the hardest defenses the Imperium could muster and found a way to supply my troops with rapid deployment, air support, and even structures once we clear a forward base.  While it would be foolish to assume a swift victory at this stage, I feel great confidence as I have already divined my enemies strategy.  Our scanning technology has been following their movements since stage one of their preparations.

They plan to build bastions to turn the land into a veritable fortress, but we will show them how foolish static defense really is.  We will drop in like thunder and lightning, establish a forward base, and launch lightning assaults, swarming key locations from all sides.  Finally when their Space Marine forces are all but upon us ready to taste victory, we will strike.  We will take out their command center in a massive alpha strike, gaining control of their orbital defenses, and turn their batteries upon their own reinforcements.  Their beloved Space Marines will be walking right into a trap, made possible only by the arrogance of Men.
They never saw us coming.
I can see everything laid out before me, as if his mind were a window, I can see through him, knowing his moves several steps before he takes them.

- End Log

I hope you enjoyed the Tau back story for the Byzanthis Conflict, it was a blast to write and really adds flavor to my army.  I have been collecting my tau since their release about 10 years ago if I remember correctly, and I always fancied my self leading a cadre of warriors from Vior'la the Binary Sept.  Their fiery personality leading them to the fore front of many conflicts on many worlds.

Check in soon to see more info as our campaign unfolds!

No comments:

Post a Comment